Wednesday, July 1, 2009

One Day At a Time

So this past Sunday would have been my Grandmother's 81st birthday. It was on my mind all day long- very haunting memories of past birthdays... I remember this time last year when I was planning her 80th birthday. I called on a circle of her closest friends from back home and invited them to the assisted living center where she resided. I had a beautiful birthday cake made for her and we all celebrated her special day that afternoon on her actual birthdate. She was so surprised and so excited! We had a wonderful time telling our favorite memories of her and some folks shared how they met her YEARS before. And even at her level of dementia at that time, she seemed to remember their experiences. Of course, that was the same day we were surprised with the news that my father had remarried (unbeknownst to us)... his (supposed) wife enlightened the entire party that day when she introduced herself as "Mrs. Kelly's Father" and my Grandmother just turned to me with her mouth gaping open in shock. I reassured her that it was okay and made a mental note to fuss at him later. So it was a crazy day all the way around!
And then back in February of this year, my Grandmother's Caregiver baked a birthday cake for the other lady being cared for in the household and my Grandmother got so jealous... we assured her that we would bake a birthday cake for her on her birthday too... looks like we never made it. Her Caregiver called me on Sunday to see how I was doing and to tell me that this was the day she marked on her calender to bake that birthday cake... I just teared up. And then I laughed and said, "well, did you bake one? we can always drive down and help you eat it!"... That is how she would have wanted it.
It is hard to believe it has been almost six weeks since she died. Oh well, one day at a time...

No comments: