Friday, June 26, 2009

Another Legend Gone

I have to admit that I was pretty bummed out when I heard the news yesterday that Michael Jackson had died. I know a lot of folks do not like him because of his strange behaviors outside of the music world, but I believe he is the greatest artist, singer, dancer and entertainer I have ever witnessed. Every thing about his music touches my heart and always has since I was a child. I have listened to his music for years and I feel so much joy when I hear his words and the beat. His music makes you dance inside your own heart. It is a shame that his odd antics in his personal life will forever haunt him as a person and make the world hate him enough to forget his musical talents. But, to me, he will never be forgotten. I will all always respect him for his courage to be the odd ball in a ordinary world, for having such passion to write/perform the music that makes the world want to moonwalk, and for taking me to my happy place when I hear the fruits of his labor . What an extremely talented man!
My first 33 was the Thriller album in 1983...

I would dance and dance and dance in our living room for hours listening to that record. It was shortly after my parent's divorce and his music took me away from it all. I loved his music so much I even bought the CD's of his newer stuff in the 90's... I drove my college roommate crazy playing his album "Dangerous" when we lived in the dorms... what a great album to study to! And then last year they released his 25th Anniversary album... and you know I went out and bought that too.... such an amazing collection of songs...

All I ever wanted during my middle school years was the red leather jacket with the silver zippers and netting on it and instead wound up with the white glove... Oh well, I was the coolest redneck with that glove and the dance moves it bestowed upon me would make the neighbors jealous- Ha Ha! I spent many an hour practicing the moonwalk, his spin and tip toed jump....
What great memories and the best part of it? His music still lives on! Here's to MJ and may his beats live forever and he RIP.

No comments: