Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Raindrops are falling on my head

So our new love for mountain biking has really taken off these past few weeks. Mike has been going almost every day up to the park in Canton. I go with him on the weekends to that same park. Well yesterday we decided to try a new spot and met after work at the Yellow River Park near Stone Mtn. The humidity was so much I felt like I was being choked the entire ride. I have to say the park is a lot nicer maintenance-wise than the Canton one, but not as “technical”- meaning not as rocky or twisting. After about an hour of hard riding around the park (keep in mind this park has TONS of winding trails that really are not mapped out too well) a big thunderstorm starting brewing in the distance and seemed to be coming our way pretty quick. Of course, I started spazzing out since the trail never seemed to end and my legs were feeling mushy from all the hard work in the 200% humidity. It is almost like a feeling of panic and despair… just hoping that we make it back to the Trailhead before lightening starts zinging through the trees. Needless to say, we finally found a short-cut out and wind up taking the paved road back to the lot where our trucks are- just in the nick of time. We fly away toward the interstate homeward with the storm on our heels… Finally, sushi at our favorite little hole-in-the-wall sushi bar near my previous home in Atlanta while watching the thunderstorm made for a great ending to our biking adventure.

No comments: