Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Unless you are an aircraft, stop hovering!

So Monday night I decided to take a much needed trip to Wal-mart to pick up a few household goods we were lacking in... I got there around 8pm and took off in pursuit of the items. One of the first things I am always reminded of every time I go to W-m is that people are "hell-on-wheels" when it comes to manuevering their shopping buggies around the store. I wonder to myself if these people drive their carts in the store like they drive their vehicles on the street. There has to be a similarity! I get so sick of the folks that cut you off in the store aisle just like on the interstate.. then there are the ones that come flying around the corners and almost collide with you head-on. Are you really in that big of a hurry? Anyway, after 45 minutes or so of blazing my trails through the store around all the other crazies, I go to the check-out lines and find that out of 25+ registers only 5 or 6 are open and 2 of those are the "10 items or less" speedy lines. So I pick one of the longer lines and fall in line behind the other 4 carts already waiting there. Keep in mind that the 4 carts ahead of me are, of course, BRIMMING with purchases... So I just patiently wait since I am in no hurry... After about 20 minutes of waiting and down to only 2 carts ahead of me, a man starts mysteriously hanging around in front of my cart and acting like he is wanting to get in line (ahead of me of course). He never says a word and I just keep watching him... I suppose he thinks if he keeps standing there that I will offer him a spot... I notice he only has two items... I start getting ansy while wondering why in the world he doesn't just go get in the "speedy" lines... Am I an awful person not to offer him a spot in front of me? If I had not been waiting for 25+ minutes by now, I might have offered... but, now I am really getting perturbed with this guy and I think- this is just like on the interstate when I am in a lane that is all backed up and he is one of those people that flies by in the next lane and then tries to cut over at the very front of our line at the last minute- Cheater!!! Eventually, he circles around and just cuts the guy off behind me and is now standing behind me and the front of the other guy's cart. All of a sudden I realize just how close this guy is to me physically... I mean he is seriously hovering me! I am now thinking "Back Off!" I turn my head and see he is seriously only 4-6 inches from my back... I start panicking... my radar is alarming "please step away from Kelly's space... back away from Kelly's bubble"... I am now hunching over my cart and inching it as close to the lady in front of me as I can without invading her space... I turn again... he is still hovering... he is so close to me that if I were to step back just a half of a step I would bang into him.... I am dying here... the lady in front of me finally moves forward and I am rushing to sling my stuff on the belt and trying to put the cart between me and him... when I finally get to the register the employee asks me how my long wait was... I respond that it would have been better if I had more room in line... then I realize that now the "hoverer" is standing right next me...almost touching my left arm at the register... the uncomfortable radar is sounding in my head again about the intrusion of Kelly's space... I literally have to turn the credit card machine to the right so he cannot read my info...the check-out guy could not hand me my receipt fast enough! I finally get out of the store and breath deeply... I really think that every thing in this town revolves around rush-hour traffic-like conditions, cramped, bumper-to-bumper people whether it is on the road, at the store, at the restaurant, the gym, the coffee shop, etc. and it is seriously getting on my last nerve. As I am trying to carefully maneuver my vehicle out of my parking space (without hitting the idiot's car next to me that is parked way too close for comfort after the teenage driver dashed into the space on 2 wheels from the opposite direction- in a hurry I am sure!), I realize that after 17 years of Atlanta and the congestion, I think I am ready for a change...

No comments: