Tuesday, July 3, 2007

We are going to party like it's your birthday!

We celebrated my grandmother's 79th birthday last week. I made the trip on Thursday and took her gifts and to lunch. We both went down together on Saturday and took her to Pine Mountain for the day. Our first stop was the Methodist Church for a 90th birthday party for one of the longest, dearest friend of our family. There were over 100 people there celebrating this awesome milestone in "Ruthie P's" life! The food and fellowship was so good that Mike and I almost forgot that we were hanging out with the "older" crowd. It was very, very special to me in so many ways.. I mean how many 90th birthday parties does one get to attend in their lifetime? And besides that, this particular 90-yr young lady does not look a day over 70! After the party, we cruised to the Valley to take in some live bluegrass music at the annual 4th of July BBQ in the ballpark. We set up our lounge chairs and enjoyed the good music, visited old friends and I told Mike ol' tales of my childhood when I had played little league baseball in that very park some 25+ years earlier. Once the band finished up for the day, we then drove up the mountain to the place where we married 9-1/2 months ago to see the new statue of President Roosevelt. They added this statue to Dowdell's Knob back a few months ago to commemorate FDR and we all wanted to check it out.




Going to our special wedding spot was a great ending of a great day with the birthday girl. We are looking forward to the big 80th next year!

No comments: