Sunday, February 8, 2009

Corporate Bank Update

So I wound up taking my lunch hour that Thursday to visit the corporate bank branch location closest to my office in hopes of taking care of business. I took all my important documents with me in order to close my Grandmother’s account during that visit. After a long 20-25 minute wait in the sitting area, I am explaining my wishes to a female banker to close the account as my Grandmother’s legal guardian/power of attorney. After the longest 30 minutes of my life spent explaining my case and defending my Power of Attorney to their Legal Dept. (who was on the phone since obviously not one employee at that bank had the power to make any banking decisions on their own). One thing I did discover was that this account is actually a CD and not a savings or investment account. And yet, they still insisted that because there was no “activity” in the CD in the past 14 years, they declared it “abandoned”. I always thought that CD’s were left alone to mature and make money and that the only time a CD had “activity” was when the mature date rolled around and you either closed it or left it. These whack jobs at this bank kept trying to convince me that a CD should have money deposited or withdrawn from it to keep it an active account. Not the last time I checked! I finally escaped that hell after telling him to forget it and that I would take care of it elsewhere. What a waste of my lunchtime! So now I am planning my next step closing the CD… more later!

No comments: