Friday, August 14, 2009

Blind-Siding Is Not Cool

Another shocking story, another sudden unexpected broken up marriage! I received the message last week from the wife... husband called her while out of the country on business to tell her he wants a divorce. He tells her he will be bringing the papers home with him when he returns home in a couple of days. He says that his mind is made up, that there is nothing to discuss, no negotiations, no nothing. His response when asked by the completely blindsided, bewildered wife why he wanted a divorce... he does not think that they are compatible. HUH? WTH!!!? After 12 or so years of marriage and two young daughters later and you have NOW decided that you are not compatible? That would have been my question!

And did she even have the faintest idea this was coming? Heck no! This man, her husband of 12+ years total BLINDsided her! And because they are not "compatible"... some please tell me what am I missing here! The only thing I can figure is that he must have found someone else with whom he IS compatible with in order to decide that he is NOT compatible with his wife. Or else he is coming out of the closet...? Who knows! It doesn't matter what the reason, he is an awful person for this. He told her he had been planning this for months... and then we waited until the girls just started back to school... great timing you idiot. And wouldn't you know that wife has several months left to finish her Masters degree, only has a part-time job and is basically a stay-at-home Mom/graduate student. How will she support herself and 2 young daughters?

I am seriously worried for her and all of the other 9 or so busted marriages that I know about from the past year- same crap, same circumstances, same behaviors, same stupid reasons- or no real reason at all. What is it with folks today? Why are people getting married and pledging to live the rest of lives with their spouse and then BAM one day decide to jump ship? I am really trying to understand this concept... I am trying to trace a trend of some sort to see if this is a certain "type" or group of folks that are prone to do this... I do see it happening more to those who married in their young to mid 20's and now 8 or more years after the wedding they change their mind about their spouse...?! Or is it that old concept that these people did not "sow their wild oats" before taking their vows? You know where they graduate from highschool or college and marry their sweetheart and then realize after several years of marriage and 2.5 kids later that they need a break to go party with their single buddies? That this marriage is getting in the way of their "me" time...? Puh-leeze! That is such a crock! Shame on you for being naive and stupid way back then! And now your newly ex-spouse and 2.5 kids have their worlds turned upside-down and are permanently scarred for life just because you feel like you are "trapped"... Unbelievable.

Of course, being married myself for just under three years now and having not married until my almost-mid-30's... stories like the one above really scare me. I mean how can I ever be assured that my Husband wouldn't come home one day and tell me he is over US? I mean it is possible... every thing is possible. And what do I do when I hear about these stories? I call Hubby and tell him about the current mishap... and he assures me that this will never happen to us. He tells me how much he loves me and how we are like Peas and Carrots. And that, my friends, is all we need. Period.

No comments: