Monday, August 24, 2009

Race Course Blues

This past Friday was my birthday... Sigh. Another year older... so glad I am still in my 20's... Ha Ha Ha
A couple of our good friends from back home made the trek up to Marietta and we all piled in our truck and had a nice night in Atlanta- supper at The Vortex in Little 5 Points and then on to the Blue October concert... Of course, the venue was hot and full of sweaty people but the band rocked! We were pretty much deaf by the time we left and it was pouring rain on top of that. But, we still had fun none the less...
After our guests left the next morning, Hubby and I ventured up north of Atlanta to Gainesville to check out the race course where my upcoming triathlon will be taking place. I really needed to gage just how "ready" I am for the big day. And oh how surprised was I to found out that almost the entire first half of the 13-mile bike ride is pretty much ALL uphill!!!????? I had an awful feeling in my stomach just riding it in the truck! Hubby kept mumbling how sorry he was for me... and I just kept taking in the long uphill grade passing by us as we rode the 13-miles of highway. Needless to say, I was very bummed about it for the rest of the day. It kinda of ruined the whole fun birthday part of the day for me.
I had pretty much decided by the time we got back on the interstate headed southward that I was going to have to nix the clip in pedals and go back to the basics... and just wear my running shoes on the bike because if I couldn't pedal up those 6 or so miles... then by golly, I will PUSH that bike up those hills! No where did I read in the race rules that you HAD to actually RIDE the bike 13-miles... am I right??!
And of course, Hubby has agreed for me to go ahead and buy a road bike for the race for my birthday... looks like I am now road-bike shopping this week... I just hope it helps me on race day...

No comments: