Monday, August 25, 2008

A Jog Down Memory Lane

We made another trip to the vegetable stand this past Saturday after I returned from my cruise. We wanted more tomatoes and peaches… when we walked up onto the platform of the veggie stand I noticed on the marker board that they had Crowder peas and Pink Eye peas available. I was instantly excited! I asked to see the peas in hopes that my memory served me correctly… Yes! They were the precious types of peas that my Grandparents loved so much in my childhood days… we grew them and we received as much of them as we could find from other folks’ gardens. The peas that man showed me on Saturday jarred so many happy memories from my childhood that I could not stop thinking about the “good ol’ days” when my Grandparents would get them by the bushel and would sit for HOURS shelling thousands of peas. We had these plastic tubs/bowls things that we would fill up with hundreds of pea pods and then sit in a chair and shell and shell and shell and then go get some more peas and shell some more! I can still see my Grandmother sitting for hours on end in a high-back kitchen chair either shelling or “looking” the peas for worms, spots, etc. We would sit outside in 100-degree heat and humidity for days just shelling and chatting. It is so hard to believe that shelling was an actual family activity back then! Who needed the Internet, an iPod, video games or television shows? We had shelling, gardening, canning, freezing, baking and cooking! Oh, I don’t forget chopping wood for the fireplace since we had no heat or air. We probably grew 75% of our food and I never realized how lucky I was back then. That ½ pound of Crowder peas really made me appreciate my Grandmother’s cooking and how I never thought twice back then that one day it would be only a memory. I tried to remember the last time I ate Crowder peas or Pink Eyes… it had to have been about 3 or so ago around the time when my Grandmother was still able to cook a home-cooked meal for our family. Unfortunately, Hubby never got a chance to experience of her meals… now that is the saddest part of all.
We also bought ears of corn, tomatoes, peaches, and cucumbers. We then went to Harry’s Farmers Market and bought more veggies for salad fixings and some wild-caught shrimp and salmon (no farm-raised for us! That is for another blog).
I arrived last night and I dug out my ol’ pressure cooker that my Grandmother bought me for Christmas one year after I bought my first house. I fixed the Crowder peas with 2 slices of turkey bacon instead of ham hock (we can’t be completely old school!) and some salt and pepper. Hubby kept telling me that he did not like peas… I assured him that these peas are better than ANY he had ever tasted. Besides, if we are going to be living in the country one day, he was going to have to eat and appreciate home-grown peas… it is a kitchen table must-have back home! When he tasted them at the supper table I believe he really did like them… just wait until we have the Pink Eyes tonight!
I had such a wonderful trip down Memory Lane last night that I wished I could share it with my Grandmother… however, I know she wouldn’t remember… but at least I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me. I enjoy reading your blog even though I don't usually have time to reply. You and Heather make me feel like a heel with ya'll's gardens and fresh veggies. I'm sorry Memaw is not doing so well. Life just "ain't" fair is it? Hope your Birthday was a memorable one. I hope your cruise was good too. I don't think I would want to be in the ocean right now with all the tropical unrest we are having. As for the school supplies--every school does the "list" thing. Taxes aren't used for the supply stuff you need but for the teacher's salaries and all these million dollar buildings we have all over the state now and we still have the lowest sat scores in the country. Go figure. I'm in my last school year. I am pretty sure I am going to retire at the end of this year. Til later! Love ya bunches "ole" girl. Just remember if you think you are old, that makes me ancient. MA