Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Piece Of History GONE

So after I dropped my Grandmother off back at her apartment on Saturday, I cruised to my hometown to check on the roofer that I hired to install a new roof on her house. As I was driving through the main drag in town I immediately spotted the guy in the trackhoe with a grappling hook on the railroad tracks.... and how surprised was I when I saw that he was using that equipment to pull up all the railroad ties that once held the rail road tracks through town!

The story is that someone bought that skinny strip of land and is now removing all of the railroad tracks along their newly aquired land... more like removing history if you ask me! Pine Mountain formerly known as Chipley, would not even be on the map if it wasn't for those tracks!! Mr. W. P. Chipley who founded Chipley, FL (near the Panama City area) financed the railroad extension from Columbus, GA to Chipley, GA (also named after him too) and that extension along with FDR and Cason Callaway's Gardens helped boost the Town of Pine Mountain to the booming metropolis we all know and love. (Note that the town's name Chipley was changed to Pine Mountain in 1957.) Anyhoo, back on my original gripe, WHO in their right mind would tear out this HUGE piece of our history? I have many, many great childhood memories surrounding those tracks in town and by the time I get home next week for Thanksgiving, the tracks will be completely GONE. What a crock!

No comments: