Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Great Gas-by

So I leave work yesterday evening and remind myself that I have less than 1/4 of a tank of gas... stop and get gas on the way home... I sit through the usual afternoon rush-hour traffic... stop and get gas I keep thinking... I finally make it to the most convenient corner BP on the way home and pull into the station... I can barely pull the F-150 in the lot because there is like a traffic jam at the pumps! I sit for about 1 minute and decide not to wait since I had about an 1/8 of a tank to get home... so I weave my way around the 20 or so cars all grid-locked waiting on the pumps... I think to myself " that was really odd- wonder what's going on..." Well this morning as I driving to work on the same stretch of road I think to myself... stop and get gas- there is no way in hell you are going to make it to Nocross on 1/8 of a tank without stopping in an emergency lane along the way... Then, my mother calls me to remind me not buy gas today for the big "GAS OUT".... I inform her that I had to get gas or stay home... I am thinking that must be why everyone and their brother was at BP last night as I pull into the last BP on the way to the Interstate and pull right up to the only available pump. I get the gas card and all the codes in and go to pump and nothing comes out of the nozzle... keep trying... nothing... what the hell?... is there something wrong here? So I move to another pump... same thing... and then another pump... same thing... so I decide to try the Silver grade... it works!!! In honor of the big "GAS OUT" I only pump $45 worth (that's about 5/8 tank)... I then ponder this whole issue and here is my opinion:
We as the gas customers are not doing a damn thing by pushing not to purchase gas for ONE day... because everyone went and filled up yesterday and the gas suppliers made their money off record sales on Monday! And on top of that, we pumped so much Regular grade yesterday, that now there is nothing but Silver grade to buy today and tomorrow for those of us who did not wait in the long lines- I personally have better things to do with my time than sit at the BP for gas. So because Silver grade is being purchased today and tomorrow, then the gas suppliers are making even more money!!! How many "GAS OUT"'s is it going to take to stop the chaos? If we as Americans want to hurt the gas suppliers then stop driving for a month at a time... not a day. That will get them in the pockets! But, then who can do that? I sure as heck can not bike to work or even carpool for that matter... not in my industry. Of course, I personally cannot really fuss about gas prices since my company buys all the gas for my company truck...

No comments: