Thursday, May 17, 2007

Small towns feel well small

So I made my first trip out to Conyers yesterday for the first scheduled meetings regarding my newest project we are kicking off at work. What a haul! I had to be at the existing wastewater plant between 6:30 am and 6:45 am. I left the house at 5:30 am and it STILL took me almost an hour and 15 minutes to get there- and with NO traffic whatsoever... Just what I was looking for... another long torturous project clear on the other side of town... 7+ months of hell I am sure. The meetings went reasonably well... I was amused by how "small town" the city of Conyers felt- (almost like my home town) Every person we saw greeted us with such happiness and enthusiam... it was almost scary- I am thinking to myself "what chemical do they put in the water in Rockdale County to make every person so cheerful?" I suppose I am just so used to being the daily pessimist in a pessimistic industry. We did have a little trouble locating the building in downtown where the meeting was held... but, in search for the building we happened to pass by the UMC two doors down... Which ironically happens to be where my dear friend and minister, John is being relocated to next month. Yes, I am deeply saddened for my friend and his situation... to make a short story as short as possible, after 10 years of service and steadfast love and support for my Church, Grace UMC, the higher power decided to move him to a much smaller church in Conyers. Some might say it is punishment... some might say it is a stepping stone in his career?... some might even say it is a good thing to step back and keep oneself in check... many thoughts are pondered when these things happen... the UMC seems to thrive on moving their leaders around on a quite regular basis (usually every 3-4 years it seems except for special circumstances like the 10 years of service at Grace)... I have never understood that concept being raised Baptist at all... we keep our good folks around for years! Anyhoo, I suppose I can at least catch him around the town square when I am in Conyers for work... since we will not be traveling that hour and 15 min to Conyers for worship...I still have another year and half left in my term on the Board of Trustees at Grace (yes, I am on the BOT- pretty scary, huh? don't ask, don't tell)... might have to go Church shopping closer to East Cobb after that...

No comments: