Monday, May 14, 2007

It's a bird, it's a plane...

I have had the joy of flying to Denver, Colorado twice in the past two weeks for work. My company's main office is located in Denver and every once in a while they spend all this excessive money to fly employees from our branch offices into the Denver office for meetings, bids, training, etc. I have been with this company for over 4 years (4 year anniversary was April 11) and have NEVER been sent there in all this time.. and then all of sudden they send me out there twice in a matter of 9 days. Well I am here to tell you that 24-36 hour trips that involve 3+ hour long airplane rides one way are for the birds! My ears still think they are changing elevations even now 4 days after my last leg home. All of the bloating and headaches from being vaccuum-sealed in that bird just sucks. And on top of that- they put me in a middle seat! There is nothing worse than getting stuck between two football player sized men who hog all of the arm rests and leave me sitting with both my elbows permanently dug into my ribcage all the while trying not to fall asleep and lean on them. I mean who could read a magazine or book in that position for 3+ hours? Unfortunately, I made a fatal mistake in not bringing my iPod on the first trip...By the way Delta was the first trip and Frontier was the second... I have to say that I was quite impressed with Frontier... they gave you the ENTIRE can of soda and a decent-sized snack compared to Delta who rationed out 4 oz. cups of soda and then a tiny bag of peanuts. I did learn that Frontier does not have 1st class... I was so darn excited when I got my boarding ticket and the seat assignment was 1D!!! Only 1st row in a plane full of Coach rows. Oh well, we were first on and first off at least. Denver was nice... what little I got see of it.
Here are a few things I learned:
1) It is a really bad idea to consume 3-4 beers before you get on a plane for a 3+ hours flight.
2) Every one has gas on airplanes.
3) Even though Denver is 2 hours behind Georgia, it is still hard to get out of bed at 6am MST
4) Doubletree chocolate cookies are awesome!
5) That PT Cruiser rental we got upgraded to drives like crap! And it was too small!
6) They do not serve sweet tea in Denver- at all.
7) My co-workers have no concept of when to stop consuming beer on business trips.
8) Never, ever get a middle seat assignment.
9) Denver traffic is no where NEAR the traffic congestion in Atlanta.
and
10) Never, ever wear shoes with strings when going thru airport security- you will get run over by those people behind you while attempting to re-tie them.

All I can say is, hopefully, my butt will not see an airplane seat for a while...

No comments: