Thursday, May 31, 2007

Smoky thoughts of the day

Well it is another smoky day in Atlanta... it just blows my mind that the winds can change direction and move smoke such a far distance. I am still tending my physical wounds from the biking crash this past Sunday. I even opted to miss my softball playoff game last night because I can hardly bend my leg to play catcher (my skin stretches the wounds when attempting a squatting position for playing catcher). I am sure my team is not happy about that decision. I am not sure if all the smoke in the air has affected folks this week but I have encountered nothing short of just plain freaky-driving Atlantans on the interstate. Tuesday evening I was forced into the emergency lane as I was about to exit onto I-285 West from I-85 South by a confederate-flag-displaying, 18-wheeler driving hillbilly trucker who was too busy yakking on his CB to see my large F150 in his target lane with no where else to go. Then, on Wednesday I sat through SIX traffic light cycles under the 400 overpass on Abernathy Rd while waiting on a tow truck that just appeared out of thin air to park across the two lanes of traffic to hook-up a stranded car- You should have seen the back-up of traffic! And then this morning, I had three, count them THREE different vehicles pull out in front of me and then veer into my lane while I am steadily moving at the speed limit of 55mph. Now usually this is not too big of deal IF the driver puts the pedal to the metal and scoots on up the road where I am not screeching to a halt to keep from rear-ending them. Not the case this morning though- in the stretch of road between the interstate exit ramp and my office (which is about 1.25 miles) I had two different box trucks cut me off and then proceed at the numbingly slow speed of 20mph tops!?! I had to nose-dive TWICE to keep from hitting these idiots! All of these incidents just go to support my personal driving theory about the drivers in this city... its too bad I cannot explain my theory in this blog... it's not very lady-like. (FYI-that's a Memaw term) Sieze the day!

No comments: