Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reality Bites... Again and Again and Again...

I am exhausted today... after my day yesterday, exhausted is probably not even the right word to describe my condition today. I arrived at work yesterday morning at 7:30 and decided at 9am to do a "hail mary" and left to go check on my Grandmother two hours away. Needless to say, she has not been very well for the past few days and I just cannot leave for our big vacation on Friday not knowing that she is okay and safe. On the way down there, I managed to get her an afternoon appt at her doctor's office (with another doc)... When I arrived at her apartment, she was asleep in her chair... and that is pretty much how we spent the first hour after my arrival...me sitting watching her sleep.. she just could not stay awake to carry on a conversation AT ALL. Now this is not normal for her AT ALL. Of course, I start really worrying now... I keep trying to talk to her and she says a few words and drifts asleep again. By lunch time I am panicking... fortunately she perks up for lunch... she seemed MUCH better after fried chicken and 2 HUGE helpings of sweet potato souffle... but then, after we returned to her apartment... she was actually falling asleep while walking around the room!! It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen... we go to the doctor and they order an X-ray of her hip and a cat scan of her head (I believe she fell to cause the hurt hip)... while they took blood from her before the X-ray, we ran into one of her neighbors from back home who was also in the labs area for bloodwork. She too has the same memory problems that my grandmother does... these two women, best of friends and neighbors for 54 years just stare at each other... it was a very pivotal moment for me on many levels... 54 years of friendship and today there is NOTHING there! How is that possible I think to myself... damn Alzheimer's... that seems to be the vicious culprit of every thing these days... we finished up our appointments and headed back to her apartment. After the day with her, I know in my heart that sometime over the weekend she had to have fallen and hurt herself physically and mentally... Hopefully, we will know something after she goes back tomorrow for the follow-up... I hated to leave her that evening, but I had to get back to my world... All I can do is say a prayer and keep my fingers crossed for some answers...

No comments: