Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 10 And Still Sane

Day 10 of my trip down Hospital Lane started on a lucky note when I scored a parking space in the closest front parking lot!! After my short night of sleep (this whole Daylight Savings change has me out of whack) in a different bed, I am moving sort of slow today… I also had no idea what today would bring for us… Well, believe it or not, my grandmother was alert when I arrived to her room. She wanted to know why she was here in the hospital. She kept asking me over and over and saying that “those nurse’s” won’t tell her why. I explained to her as best I could to make her understand that she was going for a big test today and hopefully the test would tell us why she was here. She would not eat much breakfast, but on a positive note, she has been alert pretty much most of the day today. We have been talking with each other most of the day… she seems to be more like her old self as the day goes on. They took her in for the EEG test around 11am this morning and the nice lady from the Warm Springs Rehabilitation completed her assessment today as well.
Other than this, I wish I had some news to tell everyone... notice that I did not say GOOD news or BAD news... I basically stated news... ANY news would be nice to have at this point! Today was Day # 5 in our 2nd Hospital Tour and I really do not know any more today than I knew on Day # 1 in the ER last Thursday night! What I DO know is that Memaw has completely "awaken" and seems to have come out from under whatever happened on Thursday in regards to the back-to-back seizures... she slept from Thursday evening until yesterday around lunchtime. And then this morning and all day today she was awake and alert and carrying normal conversation with me! As I said before this is the Memaw Rollercoaster Ride and I am holding on for dear life...
Even though the lady from the Warm Springs Rehab Institute did do the assessment today, they will not have any info for me on whether or not Memaw is "accepted as a candidate into their program" mainly because they are waiting on the EEG results -should know tomorrow though. And the Neurologist showed up tonight at 7pm and had not EVEN reviewed the EEG test results! He planned on reviewing them tonight after his hospital visits... what a crock! I stuck around waiting on him until after 7pm tonight and he came with NOTHING to our table... now I am really bent! I asked him again about what he thought about her seizures and can you believe this guy tried to pass off her seizures as "typical for people in their 60's and 70's"???? Are you kidding me? If uncontrollable convulsions are "typical" to people in her age group then their are a LOT of folks in trouble in my world! All of Mike’s parents and mine are in this group as well as all of their friends, our aunts and uncles, etc. Needless to say, I would NOT accept that as a good "reason" why she had them... and I voiced that to him on his way to the elevator. Sooooo, that being said, I suppose we are AGAIN waiting on the hospital to let us know what is next...

No comments: