Thursday, March 6, 2008

Finally...

This morning when I arrived bright and early to the hospital, my grandmother was again restrained to the bed. At this point I have just accepted the fact that she has to be restrained during the night for her safety. I know that she has yanked her IV needle out twice at night, each on different dates. She just forgets where she is and thinks she has to release herself from those things attached to her so she can leave this place.
I spent most of yesterday trying to get her to the bathroom in time since she drank a bunch of the “white stuff”. Yes, the doctor ordered her a CT Scan of her abdomen and all the white stuff she drank turned right around and became the brown stuff that came right on out the other end and FAST. I felt so bad having to keep going and getting the poor nurse’s assistant to come clean her and the mess up each time we did not quite make it to the toilet. It was an ever-circling cycle that just did not stop all afternoon! They finally did the scan around 4:45pm yesterday afternoon and then she had her first meal of the day at suppertime… I finally left for my home around 7pm- mussed clothes in hand to wash before returning today. She did look a lot better this morning. After she finished her breakfast, I got her up and put her sneakers on her for traction and took her on a long walk around the entire hospital floor. The doctor arrived and announced that she could go home so we spent the morning preparing for our long-awaited departure. We made it back to her apartment and she has a LONG way to go before she is adjusted back to her place… she does not seem to see much of ANY thing around her. I borrowed a walker from the director for her to use until she gets her balance back. Of course, she chooses not to rely on it for direction or balance. She charges like a bull out of balance on peg legs through the apartment…staggering all over the place like she is about to fall at any moment… and it scares me to death! I wish I could stay with her but I have small issue keeping me from that- it is called my JOB and I have missed 3 ½ days this week already!
All I can do is pray and hope that she takes her time and watches out for herself physically and mentally… fingers are crossed…

No comments: