Monday, June 23, 2008

Lions, Coyotes, and Bears Oh My!

This morning I am pulling out of the driveway when I noticed Hubby had called a few minutes before... must have been when I was drying my hair. I returned his call and he told me to be safe on the way to work. I am thinking to myself, 'what is he talking about?'... I ask him what does he mean and he informs me that he heard on the radio on his way to work that someone had hit a bear in front of Lassiter high school this morning. I ask him is he is serious and he says yes about the bear and that he was joking about my being safe from bears... My only question is: What is the deal with all the bears in Cobb County these days?
I googled the Google News site and came up with this article just posted 3 days ago!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobb County residents spot another bear
(Published June 20, 2008)
MARIETTA, Ga. — Residents in east Cobb County have spotted another black bear roaming through neighborhoods and commercial areas.

State wildlife biologist David Gregory says the 1-year-old male with a tracking collar was spotted three times on Thursday, but managed to elude capture.

A state Department of Natural Resources ranger fired a tranquilizer dart at the bear but missed.


The animal was spotted once behind an office park,at a workout gym's swimming pool and behind a woman's home.

The DNR averages about five bear sightings a year in Cobb County. This is the third one in the past month to be seen in Cobb County.

In late May and early June, bears were struck and killed on Interstate 75 at Interstate 285 and on Barrett Parkway at I-75.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I figure that the bear hit this morning must be the bear referred to in this article! Surely there is not another one running around our area. And I thought coyotes were ridiculous... now bears? It just does not make sense to me... I googled bears being actually "hit" in Cobb County also and two total have been killed by motorists on separate dates- May 30th and June 3rd. And now today's hit is # 3 in the past month! Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

No comments: