Thursday, August 30, 2007

Heaven On A Bun

Heaven On A Bun

With not too much going on for us at our work these days, J-San (AKA my hoochie sidekick- as my husband refers to her) and I headed up to Buford yesterday to run a small errand. We discovered a new restaurant while cruising Hwy 20 by the Mall of Georgia and decided to try it out. This blog is our official review of the "Five Guys Burgers & Fries" restaurant chain...

Five Guys Burgers & Fries
Upon entering the front door, I encountered the most delicious, succulent smell I have experienced in quite a LONG time... it took me back to my days growing up in Pine Mtn. when my grandmother cooked us homemade hamburgers and fries. The dining room was bright and airy reminding me of an old diner with its red, white and black color scheme. We walked up to the ordering section of the main counter and I was surprised at just how simple the overhead menu was... Burgers, Hotdogs and Potatoes... and Sodas. How easy to order! And all toppings were free! And their toppings were not just the usual boring suspects either... raw onions, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms were the most exciting on the topping list along with the others: ketchup, mayo, mustard, tomato, lettuce, etc. J-San ordered a cheese burger and a soda and I ordered a cheese burger, an small order of fries and a soda. I will admit that I had a moment of despair when J-San showed up at our table only 5 minutes after we ordered and sat down with her order and her sandwich was wrapped in aluminum foil... (Flashback: In my past experience, any eating establishment that serves food in alum-foil is questionable...almost too scary to open much less eat- way too "homemade" for me!) But, when she unwrapped her cheese burger, all worries vanished...



Then, my order was called... I opened up my foil and met the largest most inviting burger in my 34 years...




The mushrooms and onions were the best toppings dripping on a two-patty beef burger with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. I was in heaven! And the fries were definitely Idaho potato cut fries (just like Memaw's)... The small fries order was TOO much for both of us to split!

Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Pros: THE best burger I have ever eaten away from home (yes, even more than The Vortex!, free toppings are the bomb, real potato fries and free refills on the coke products, oh and they have roasted peanuts in the shell to snack on while you wait for your meal
Cons: A little pricey for lunch ( not a $ 5 or so meal) With fries and soda it was $ 9+, I do not EVEN want to know the caloric intake from this meal...

(For those of you who live in Cobb County or those who do not want to make the trip up to Buford, Mike and I saw one of these off Holcomb Bridge Rd. near Alpharetta Hwy in Alpharetta a couple of weeks ago- go check it out!)

No comments: