Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Quick Trip to Hawaii?

So I made another trip to visit my Grandmother this past Friday afternoon.... I left work early, fought Friday afternoon traffic all the way through downtown, and hurried to pick her up by 4pm. We had a couple of errands to run before 5pm and we had to be back in time for the 5:30pm Hawaiian Luau at the assisted living center. Yes, I attended my first Senior Hawaiian Luau... not quite what I expected... lots of folks sporting Hawaiin shirts, a couple of people wearing straw skirts... but the highlight of the night was the hula-hoop contest- definitely a gut-buster from all of the laughing at the poor souls swindled into participating in that activity. The tropical buffet of food and desserts was delicious and it was over almost as quickly as it started. I had this great idea of taking her shopping at the local mall after the Luau but, she was nodding off by 7:30pm. So we went to bed around 9pm... I brought my sleeping bag and camped out in front of the A/C and attempted to fall alseep. Well let me tell you.. sleep was just not in the stars for me this night... Every 10 minutes or so the A/C would shut off and the room but be burning hot and then when it ran, the room was freezing cold. If I got inside the sleeping bag, I would be blazing hot, but if I slept on top of it, I froze. And then there was the ants! Yes, ants. About every 5-10 minutes something would be crawling on my arm or my foot or my leg or my hand... this went on and on and on until about 1:00am and then I just could not take it any more.... I gave up and went to get in the bed with my grandmother. Now remind you, this is a double bed with two adults- she is wearing full flannel pajamas and covered under 3 blankets and me wearing shorts and tee shirt and sleeping on top of the bed covers. My grandmother is pretty frightening-looking when she is asleep too- she looks almost deathly... I kept wanting to shake her just to make sure she was alive. She woke me up at 3:15am to ask if it was time to get up yet- and then she did finally wake and rise at 6:30am... Oh what a night! Breakfast was amusing considering how much the elderly residents stared at me throughout the entire meal- must be the age difference or else I just looked THAT bad the morning after!? Later that morning we went and did some shopping at a couple of stores and then I left her... I always hate to leave her...

No comments: