Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Senior Weinie Roast Anyone?

So yesterday afternoon I received one of those phones calls that nobody ever wants to receive...my grandmother calls me around 4pm to tell me that the assisted living facility caught on fire. Of course, I am instantly panicked... after she bumbles the story to me for about 10 minutes I finally summarize the event into this: fire alarms goes off, they funnel all of the residents outside until alarm stops thinking it was just a drill... they get every resident back inside and then the alarms sounds again... repeat exercise... except this time they know something is burning... I kept asking her what burned up...she would just say, "oh those people on the "other" side dropped a cigarette or something" ... All of her story was questionable after hearing her tall tale from earlier yesterday morning about "all of these spiders here biting me all over my chest"... Her whacky stories seem to be happening more and more these days for some reason. So I called the Director of the facility this afternoon and she confirmed the fire story except that it was not a cigarette (considering they ARE a smoke-free community) but, instead a "memory" resident on the other side of facility had found some matches and decided to light up an artificial tree in her room. I am thinking to myself, "Did she think it was a big marijuana plant or something??" Maybe she is having flashbacks to the "good ol' " days when her father or grandmother used to grow that stuff on the farm? Anyway, all of the elderly ruckus from yesterday complete with fire trucks roaring in, etc. was the result of a small blazing plastic tree set on fire by a memory-impaired Senior who was just passing her time playing with matches like a child would... You know they say that as you get older, that elderly folks revert back to the childhood behaviors... I believe it is true myself... I see so much of my grandmother's inner child almost every day in our conversations...
Anyhoo, at the end of the day they only set off one sprinkler and managed to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher... man, what a day for the Seniors... they get all the excitement!

No comments: