Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Challenges With Dementia

For some reason my Grandmother has not been having a very good week this week and I for the life of me do not know how to help her. Her level of confusion seems to be at a really high level, therefore, she keeps doing crazy things that she would not normally do... For instance, my Mom spent the day with her yesterday. She took her to the dentist and when asked about her pains she would answer regarding her feet. The whole disassociation issue is another troublesome part of her life too- the disassociation coupled with her severe case of glaucoma is a recipe for diaster! Her limited vocabulary does not help matters either. Basically, she cannot see, she cannot talk well and she mixes up everything! In one conversation she will stammer through an explanation trying to tell you that her stomach hurts and later on you find out (only by seeing it with your own eyes) that she actually has a form of diaper rash! Her losing her shoes might actually mean that she cannot find the cordless phone... and so on... and her limited vocabulary makes conversation with her so darn challenging! I like to refer to it as "Memaw ebonics"... I have actually gotten pretty good about deciphering what she is trying to say over these past few months but, she gets so frustrated and lashes out about her inability to put a sentence together and I just keep playing the neverending guessing game until I finally figure out what she is talking about. Last night was a really bad night for her... I was on the phone with the assisted living staff several times before I went to bed being enlightened as to how she has destroyed her apartment and how everything is all over the floor and furniture. She supposedly keeps looking for something, but when asked what she is looking for, she does not know. I guess all I can do is pray that she gets through this current "cycle"... and moves on to the next one...

No comments: