Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Homegirl Network

I have this network of folks back home I like to refer to as “Team Memaw”. This is a group of ladies (or “my homegirls” in slang terms) that I can call on at pretty much at any time to help me with stuff (i.e. her doctor appointments, errands, festivities, etc.). Of course, most of them are her longest time friends from her work, Church, clubs, etc. They are almost like a Fan Club of sorts, but then again a couple of the team members are family members so they don’t qualify as fans… just supporters of her cause, maybe? They are so important to me and really share the burden of my responsibilities as my grandmother’s caregiver. I can also call them at any given time of the day just to chat and vent about the latest saga in my journey with her dementia… yes, they are great listeners! Well, for a change, I received a phone call from one of my home girl’s cell phone in the middle of the day, today… I remember thinking to myself how odd it was for her to call ME at this strange hour… turns out that this particular homegirl was rushed to the hospital today after having a suspected heart attack. It was her daughter calling me from her Mom’s cell phone to let me know about it… scared the crap out of me to be perfectly honest. We verbally agreed NOT to tell my grandmother for fear of riling her up…and we definitely do not want to do that! Of course, my shock turns instantly to distress and worry since this team member does a LOT for my grandmother… I mean a LOT. Of course, they all do a lot but this lady lives pretty close to my grandmother and I can call her on a moment’s notice and she is there in no time… every since that call I have pretty much spent the rest of my work day thinking in the back of mind about this whole ordeal… along with being worried for her health and worried that my grandmother will find out… What makes this even tougher is that this particular homegirl is my grandmother’s sister…. I suppose I forgot to mention that part, huh? The only one left that can still live alone, see with her own eyes and drive a car! Wow, that is the total package!!! I just hope everything turns out for the good… I am not sure how my grandmother would handle this situation….
Now that I have come to the end of this post, I have decided to re-nickname my network of folks… they are not homegirls, they are Angels… Memaw’s Angels… and nobody can never have too many of those!!

No comments: