Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wanna Think Outside The Cubicle?

“Wanna think outside the cubicle?” That was the first sentence of one of the feature articles that headlined the Yahoo website homepage this morning. The article goes on to say “for some people, a desk job can put a hold on career satisfaction”… Really? And then it states, “Some people are antsy and uncomfortable when they must stay seated all day”. Wow, I never contemplated that concept… NOT. I can definitely say in my experience that that statement cannot be any truer!! So how surprised was I that my job is in the Top 5 of “The 175 Best Jobs Not Behind a Desk”… Yes, Construction Management is the # 4 job in the “Top 5 Lucrative No-Desk Jobs”. I am speechless… I know that as a Project Manager in construction we tend to spend some time out on site, but not every day! Unless it a HUGE project and our office is set up on site and even then one does not hardly have the time to go out into the field still… When I was on that massive project up in Buford back in 2003-04, some weeks I felt like I lived in my cave of an office… I would not have time to go out on site for even just a few minutes… that is how busy I was… and most of my time was spent at a desk hovering a laptop! Sure, we get the pleasure of visiting our “projects” at least once a week when we are set up in the “main” office… but, I am still surprised that my job is in the Top 5… maybe the Top 50, but not the Top 5! Maybe that job name should be changed to Construction Superintendent… they are the ones having all the fun outside in the field… while I am stuck inside doing the paperwork and coordination… And believe me when I say that there is not a day that goes by that I do not ask myself why I chose this profession…

No comments: