Monday, January 28, 2008

99x Is Gone

What the heck is going on in radio world? I could not believe it when I heard today that 99X is gone! Yes, gone! How can you just delete a radio station? Or should I say what bad mistake was made that caused them to get rid of the radio station? I have heard of shows getting the boot but not the whole darn station!! So I googled 99x earlier today and all of the articles pretty much sum it up that the station was bought out a couple of years ago and things have only gone downhill since. Now I remember when they were Power 99 back in the day when I first arrived in Atlanta in 1991... they played popular Top 40 tunes- pop, hip-hop, fun music. And then they changed to 99X and turned alternative.... back then, I loved them. I had the 99x card, their Live X CD's, went to their Big Day Out concerts, the whole nine yards... I listened to the Morning X radio show religiously back in the late 90's while at work. Barnes, Leslie and Jimmy were too funny and did crazy stuff that I laughed out loud at... but, then one day either I changed or grew out of it... their music seemed just a tad too indie for me... too grunge, too alternative... not enough rock-n-roll... the DJ's got on my nerves... I no longer desired the concert band line-ups any more...I quit listening and started listening more to z93 or 95.5 the beat... rock or rap were my choices... I guess my tastes just changed... of course, they have changed since even then too... I did occasionally stop by their last morning show a few times in the past year or so... just could not get into the show... didn't seem the same without Jimmy... when Barnes left it didn't really bother me, but why Jimmy? Heck, he was the most entertaining person at the station in my opinion. I don't know all the details of what exactly happened with the station... probably never will. I do still have the CD's to remember them by... I just wonder what will happen with Leslie Framm??? She was like the cornerstone for that station! I did hear that Q100 will be moving into the 99.7 slot on the FM dial... I am not a fan of their morning show either... I suppose the only show I can really tolerate is the Giant Show these days... But, to be perfectly honest I just listen to the radio for MUSIC... isn't that what radio started from originally anyway? If all stations would just play music and not talk at all, that would be best in my book. Oh well, that is why I have satellite radio...too bad I have to pay for it!

No comments: