Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bumper Carts Are For Losers

Would someone please tell me WHY people do not return their shopping carts to the Cart Return or back into the grocery store? Tonight on the way home from work on a somewhat blustery night in the metro Atlanta area (yes, we are under a Tornado Watch believe it or not), I made a quick stop at one of the probably five Publix' along Johnson Ferry Rd. I wanted to get something to cook for supper and I splurged and grabbed a carton of strawberries (woohoo- they were on sale!). When I left the store, it was dark, windy and just kinda balmy outside. I am walking to my truck when I watch a man in his 40's push his cart (which was MAYBE 1/3 full of groceries by the way) next to a lone cart parked in the middle of an empty parking space. Come on people! PUH-LEEZE help me to understand why he could not have pushed his cart the extra 35 ft to the next aisle over and put his cart in the Cart Return thingy? Or maybe even go the extra mile and walk 50 ft to the freakin' store and put the cart back for others to use! Were his legs just too fragile to make the distant journey to one or the other? Being that it was pretty windy out too makes for some serious bumper-carts into other folks' vehicles. And those metal contraptions can do some serious paint damge when flying into a car at 5 5to 15 mph across a parking lot full force with wind power behind it. Do you know what I think? I think he is just plain LAZY. And his 12 year with him is LAZY too. Make the kid take it back... set an EXAMPLE for crying out loud... that is some example your setting as his parent to demonstrate that it is okay to leave the cart in the middle of the parking lot so someone else has to put it up later for you or for someone else to endure the damage of the cart running into their car later. For years, I have watched people doing this in parking lots EVERY where. Of course, it seems to be worse here in the urban part of GA vs. the rural areas where I grew up. Females tend to do it the most in my opinion. Maybe the store should start charging a small fee to use the cart and then you get the fee back when you return it?

No comments: