Monday, September 22, 2008

Can You Believe It Has Been 2 Years Already?

Today was our 2-year anniversary… I know it is hard to believe that it has been two whole years already! We celebrated our anniversary this past weekend with a weekend trip to Savannah and Tybee Island. We had such a wonderful time just relaxing, consuming lots of seafood and touring the sites. Our hotel was very nice considering the smoking deal I got on it off the Internet…. And it came with a nice breakfast both mornings! Friday night we enjoyed shrimp and oysters and some of the best crab stew we have ever eaten. Saturday morning we got up early and made the trek to downtown Savannah to stand in line for dinner reservations for Paula Deen’s restaurant…. What an experience! They started taking reservations at 9:30am and we got there at 9:35am… I was shocked that the line was already 100+ deep! But, we made it to the hostess and got our 7:45pm slot! Next, we browsed around the downtown shops and then made our way to Tybee Island. The wind was very breezy and the air was chilly. We walked the beach and the pier…

Then, we had a delicious lunch at the Crab Shack on Tybee that included two dozen of THE largest oysters I have ever laid eyes on! We enjoyed shrimp and crab legs too.

Supper at Paula’s was an experience to remember for the rest of my life. The bread lady kept bringing these cheddar biscuit and hot cakes out to the diners… they were so good! I finally told her to not bring the tray by again… she was killing me! I did have a sad moment at one point over the “hot cakes” … they were a pan-fried cornbread patty just like my Grandmother used to make… I don’t think I have had them since I was in high school when she used to make them for my Grandfather… such great memories that always bring tears to my eyes… and all because of such great southern food! The smells are the hardest ones to endure…


We had the Shore Is Good Seafood Dip (Hubby’s favorite) and then I ordered the Shrimp ‘N Grits for my entrée. Hubby opted for the Southern buffet… which worked out really well for me since I could sample bites of every thing he brought back to the table. I tried so hard to savor every bite but at some point I just could not eat another bite. I did get a take-out bag for my leftovers. And then the waiter tried to get us to pick out deserts! I insisted that I could not do desert… we just would not pick out one so he leaves one- the banana pudding and says just try it. I took one bite and almost died. I truly think that banana pudding was made in heaven… he divulged that the secret was that it was made with homemade whipped cream. I had three bites and then I shut down. NO more for Kelly. We were stuffed and I was ecstatic that my meal at Paula’s was so enjoyable. Kelly’s score is 5 out of 5 stars for Lady & Sons…

Yes, what a great weekend getaway...Happy Anniversary to Us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on two years! I'm glad ya'll had such a nice trip and the food sounds wonderful! You look great too, by the way! Bootcamp looks awesome on you! ;) Heather

Holly said...

Yea for 2 years! For some reason, it seemed like you and Mike had been married longer than that. Do you know in Dec Ben and I will be married...10 years! We're old!

Glad to hear how much you liked Paula's place. We haven't been since it's always so crowded. May have to check it out next time we hit SSI and Savannah.