Friday, April 25, 2008

Day 3- Snorkeling and Battleships


Today we woke up and reserved our two spots on a snorkeling trip. Yes, about 7 miles from Key West is one of the largest live corral reefs in the world. And for $35 a large boat will take you out to the reef and let you snorkel around it and see the sea life up close and personal. Now we have been snorkeling before… on our big honeymoon in St. Lucia. In St. Lucia, they took us to a nice intimate cove and there were about 30 of us. Today, it was in the open sea and there were only 6 of us… much different! And kind of scary… at least to me it was. After putting all of my gear on, I jumped into the pretty chilly water and swam to my hubby. When I took my first look under water, the bottom was about 20 feet below, there were some pretty fish and then I saw the jellyfish… and mean tons of jellyfish! They were everywhere! Millions…. Billions…. Gazillions of them. Most of them were small about the size of golf balls, but it was FREAKY. I mean the Captain forewarned us that there would be some jellyfish but who would of thought he meant THIS many! The thing about the little ones is that they do bite, but it is a small bite like a mosquito bite…. But, the water was really choppy today and I just could not get my snorkel to participate with my being able to breathe through it (probably because of all the salty waves of water overtaking it!); therefore, when 2 or 3 of those small jellyfish started nibbling and you are fighting choppy salt water along with gasping for oxygen… it makes for a terrible recipe with Kelly. After about 20 minutes of it, I was tired and getting a touch of motion sickness (again, probably the constant slamming of waves). I stayed with hubby though and eventually we made our way back to the boat. The second place they took us too was MUCH better- less choppy water and NO jellyfish! I was a cool spot near an old lighthouse in the middle of the sea to keep ships from hitting the reef I suppose.

We made it back to the island in time to hit some Happy Hour specials at one of the marina restaurants… ½ price menu… Shrimp, conch fritters, fish, and onion rings…and 3 drinks all for under $28…Man I love a bargain!
Today’s island celebration included a crazy battle between a bunch of boats out in the Key West Harbor… they were shooting cannons, guns, water cannons and throwing food at each other. At the same time, helicopters and planes were dropping rolls of toilet paper from overhead.

It was the “Great Battle for the Conch Republic”. All of this was happening while the beautiful sun was setting on the horizon.

There were SO many people there… we just kept walking and walking trying to find a spot on the edge to get some decent photos. We discovered at the very end of our walking path that an actual wedding was happening with all of this battle craziness going on in the background- pretty wild stuff again…

No comments: