Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Here Is To The Next 2/3 of 2008

Last week was my 5-year anniversary with WSCI… It is so hard for me to believe that I made it to 5 years at one place! This is the longest I have ever worked for any employer (full time) in my entire adult life. Thinking about this today, I realized that today is the last day of April… one third of 2008 has already gone by…. Where does the time go? I would say “where does the time go when you’re having fun” but, I cannot truly say that these past 5 years have been THAT fun. It has been a roller coaster ride for the most part… but, as they say, “the best is yet to come”, right?
I am thinking back to my first day with WSCI and I realize just how different things were for me back then. First, I was still in my 20’s! I had just bought my 2nd house and it was IN the city! I was single, my dog was only 5 years old and was living with me in Atlanta, my Grandmother was living at home alone and all was well with her. I was working on huge new project in the Atlanta area after a 6-month stint living in a motel up at Clemson, SC while trying to close out a really bad project that I did not work on until the bitter end. Most of friends were still married and happy back then unlike today where over half of them have divorced by now. ……………But, now… I am such a different person living in a completely different world. I am in my mid-30’s (did I just say that?), I am married to a wonderful man (that I met at WSCI!), living in Marietta, with his dog, Sampson (we buried Berkeley this past December). I am my Grandmother’s Caregiver and she has been residing in Assisted Living for almost a year and a half now. I have completed three projects with WSCI and am currently waiting for my fourth one (we need some new projects!). And lastly, most of my married friends are now either divorced, separated or re-married- how sad it that?* And I almost forgot- my nephew, Austin is almost 9 years old this July! NINE! We bought property back home and plan on moving there one day in a few years to start a new chapter in our life together. I have been a PM for over 3 years now in a male-dominated industry… and that was only a dream 13 years ago when I walked out of the Bobby Dodd Stadium at Georgia Tech with my Bachelor’s Degree in Building Construction. I was one of three females in our graduating class of 1995 and did not have a worry in the world at that moment. But, boy, do things really change in 13 years… vs. 5 years….
Well, here is to the next 2/3 of 2008…

*That is another blog subject at a later date.

No comments: