Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Plane Perspective

Now that I have been on three trips in the past 2 ½ weeks- two to Denver and one to the Keys, I am just about had it with the whole airport scenario. These days it seems to be such a time consuming task to fly somewhere whether it is a quick day trip or up to a weeklong trip. From my perspective (based on these 3 trips), most airport employees do not enjoy their job and are in no hurry to help speed up my getting to my gate on time. Unless your flight is before 7am, you might as well get to the airport at least 2.5 hours before your flight time- otherwise, good luck. I caught an article just this morning in the AJC titled, “Airport Seeks Shorter Lines”… The bi-line stated, “Officials and lawmakers press federal administrators to address insufficient staffing of security checkpoint”. All I can is: AMEN. In the meantime, believe it or not, I am getting on another plane this Friday morning heading back to Denver and will fly back on Sunday morning. This time they are flying the all of the salaried personnel from our entire Southeast Division out there for our Annual Operations Conference… not sure exactly how this weekend will transpire… but, it better be worth it considering they are taking up my entire weekend. The key word in that sentence being “MY”…. I just hope they do not stick me in a middle seat between two HUGE co-workers so my movements are limited in fear of touching my seatmates. Yes, being the not-so-small person that I am, space is very, very precious to me on airplanes. I know that on our trip to Key West, Hubby and I had a really hard time fitting shoulder to shoulder in our two seats without sticking out into the aisle. And then you get creamed by every person going to the restroom or by the drink cart when it passes. I have often wondered why they just don’t add ONE more foot to the width of the plane so you could have a mere 6 extra inches in each side for seats. How much trouble would that really be? As much as the airlines charge per flight, surely they can afford it. Of course, losing weight is always an option too I suppose. (Giggle)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get put in between Shane & Drew.... I would not stop laughing the WHOLE plane ride out there, and probably the whole weekend! OH shit... I better stop talking before I end up between them. What a cruel world that'd be... I'm analyzing all the scenarios of who I can end up sitting next to or between... knowing my luck it'll be BEN!! haha, can't wait... 2 days!! ;)
~Jess