Monday, April 28, 2008

Stressed Is Desserts Spelled Backwards

We made it back last night from our trip to the southernmost point of the USA. Even though the Key West airport was the tiniest one I have ever been to, I still have that same “hurry up and go” feeling each time I arrive at any airport. Yes, no matter how small or large the airport, every one is in a rush to get from Point A to Point B. And even though our hotel was only 1 mile from the airport and the airport really only has one gate, we left almost 2 hours before our flight time. And even after we checked our bags in and got through security and made it to the holding area at the gate, my heart was still racing in anticipation of getting on that plane for home. We must have sat in that very crowded holding room for over an hour… I recollect telling Hubby that my favorite part of any vacation was the going home part… how sad is that? How terrible is that to say about your time of relaxation and rejuvenation? This brings me to my topic…I admit that I have a really, really bad habit of stressing out about something before it happens and then whining endlessly about it after its over. And of course, my husband is the complete opposite of me! There were several times on the island in which I was literally elbowing my way onto the shuttle bus through a crowd of folks… all in fear of not making that run (all the while knowing another bus was probably right behind this one!). I would literally be dragging Hubby behind me to get on the bus. He only called me out on it once or twice, bless his heart. You see in my mind, when I am ready to go home (back to the hotel), I am ready NOW. Hell or high water, I will get on that first bus. Hubby, on the other hand, thinks in his mind, well if we don’t fit on this bus, we will just catch the next one and go have a couple of frozen drinks next door while we are waiting. Do you see what I mean? Am I crazy? I don’t think so… but, to the guy standing next to me, my behavior might seem a tad over the edge possibly. You see I am a planner… a scheduler… a doer… and when I have my plan in place- I make it happen. Period. That is how one multi-tasks and gets many, many things achieved in minimal time. Yet, laid-back people (like my Hubby) always seem to get their tasks done too… just in a lot less stressful way than me. I also know that I tend to moan and groan about things that don’t go my way… and while on the vacation, I got to watch a group of ladies doing that exact thing while waiting for the shuttle bus… and it was eye-opening for me! These three older ladies were standing outside of the shuttle bus about 5 minutes before the shuttle bus was scheduled to depart, and they were seriously griping about the fact the shuttle bus doors were closed…. And they moaned and they groaned and they kept on and on and on griping to each other about the doors being locked… it was almost embarrassing… and I thought to myself, ‘Wow, is that what I sound like to any bystander when I am antsy when things don’t go my way?’ I admit that every little thing that seems “so” bad to me at that moment probably isn’t that big of deal at all. I know that I need to lessen the reigns of my overly inflated anxious and impatient mind and just Relax. Just let it go… It is hard to not be impatient in my day-to-day life… driving in Atlanta traffic every morning and every evening makes one stir crazy… my job is stressful most days…trying to balance traffic, work, errands, exercise, chores, finances, meal preparation and consumption, oh and sleep (don’t forget that one!) is not as easy as it seems. Besides, since when did a little anxiety become such a bad thing? Oh, and stop worrying so much! How many times have I heard that one?

No comments: