Thursday, May 22, 2008

Coyote Hunting

Last night after supper Hubby wanted to go ride the mountain bikes around the neighborhood to get a little exercise. So around 8:05pm, we took off on the bikes. We rode all around the area for about 20-30 minutes and then I decided to cruise back to the house because my feet were aching (thanks to the injured ankle)... Hubby decided to keep going a little longer. So off I go homeward bound. It was starting to get dark so I carefully maneuvered the bike around the turns and such. Right as I came around the last bend, I noticed an older gentleman walking on the left side of the road and his dog was up ahead of him about 20-25 yards... the dog was right near our driveway actually. I thought it was strange that the man did not have the dog on a leash... but, as I watched the dog he did not seem to walk quite like a dog... his path was zig-zaglike and he almost looked emaciated... I hoofed it up to the man and asked him if that was his dog... "No", he replied. That is when I realized that it was not a dog... it was a coyote! It was just the darkest coyote I have ever laid eyes on! Almost to the point it would make you think it was a dog. I have seen coyotes in my time, but nothing like this one! I replied back to the man, “Well I don’t think that is a dog, I think it is a coyote!” And he said, “I don’t think it is a dog either…” So I said, “well let’s find out!” I pedaled as hard as I could and chased him down the road… I yelled out at him and he took off into the woods… That is when I stopped. I could go no further in bicycle clip-in shoes. Now I believe all the hype when the neighbors kept talking about the coyotes roaming our neighborhoods in the past. For a long time many cats were coming up missing in our neighborhood (along with Tiger, our cat)… she just up and disappeared one day right before we got married. Poof! Cat be gone! I called the neighbors and told them about it. Time to go coyote hunting…

No comments: